We have entered a new era of Fifth Generation (5G) wireless systems represented by 5G NR technology, which represents the most promising next-generation solution to meet the needs of the increasingly demanding mobile market. The 5G NR provides dissimilar types of service characterized by different requirements and the Third Generation Partnership (3GPP) reconsiders many aspects of a wireless system (For 5G NR standardization), such as the Key Performance Indicator (KPI) targets, network architecture, radio access network (RAN) functions, and the entire network protocol stack.
5G-NR is the latest air interface designed for fifth-generation wireless technologies, designed to improve wireless performance, quicken response times, improve network flexibility, and reduce device power consumption. Each of these improvements is possible through new technology such as 5G-NR which represents a fundamental difference from the existing 4G air interface. 5G-NR is the technology that utilizes a different bandwidth, operating on different (and much higher) frequencies, and several other infrastructural changes that should enhance performance.
One of the important characteristics of 5G NR is its flexible transmission, which is the flexible slot structure with the self-contained transmission, scalable frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM) multi-tone numerology, and provides significant benefits for 5G NR drive testing. When compared to Long Term Evolution (LTE), 5G NR is beneficial to provide multiple advantages. So now let us see 5G NR testing and transmission flexibility along with Smart 4G Tester, 4G LTE Tester, 4G Network Tester and VOLTE Testing tools & Equipment and Smart Best wireless site survey software, site survey tools for wireless networks & Wifi site survey software app in detail.
- 5G NR with an extension of the spectrum range supports operations in licensed bands from below 1 GHz to 52.6 GHz, whereas LTE operates at 3.5 GHz (in the licensed spectrum) and 5 GHz (unlicensed spectrum). High capacity and extreme data rates are possible at millimeter-wave (mm-Wave) frequencies, even though higher frequencies (due to increased signal attenuation) introduce limitations in coverage.
- 5G NR is designed ultra-lean to lower interference, multi-antenna schemes from data transmission to control-plane procedures and initial access. It increases energy efficiency by reducing always-on transmissions, which is a crucial aspect of extending the lifetime of IoT devices – it is prepared for its future evolution in use cases and technologies.
- 5G NR self-contained slot structure is the technology that delivers a flexible slot-based framework, and with this, each 5G NR transmission independently decode slots and avoid static timing relationships across slots.
- The 5G NR self-contained slot structure support for fast uplink (UL), downlink (DL) turn-around, and scalable slot durations of 500µs at 30kHz thereby delivering significantly lower latency than LTE.
- This slot structure (5G NR) framework includes the opportunity for data, and UL/DL scheduling which enables more adaptive test-drive development UL/DL configuration, advanced reciprocity-based antenna techniques, lower latency, and several of the 5G NR requirements which will be encountered accordingly.
- The 5G NR scalable frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM) multi-tone numerology allows the support of spectrum bands, their types, and deployment models, for instance, 5G NR must be able to operate in wider channel widths of mmWave bands.
Now comes a question, what are the testing requirements to ensure optimized operability of the NR flexibility?
- Whether it’s scalable sub-carrier spacings numerology or time division multiplexing (TDM) numerology, both need to be evaluated for data and initial access, for different frequency bands (< 1GHz, 1-6GHz, > 6GHz) and for different UE / client type requirements.
- For low-latency applications, evaluation is required for the mini-slot scheduling with different possible configurations (all DL/UL, mixed DL, and UL).
- Another benefit is evaluation of latency and throughput at the device level, analysis of RAN performance (latency, throughput) within each network slice.
The development of 5G NR indicates the advancement towards a united wireless technology for IoT, M2M, and cell communications. 5G is an innovation that will redefine a wide range of industries by connecting everyone and everything virtually and supporting connectivity needs across a variety of world-changing use cases, which will benefit the entire society. Here comes network testing and measurement to provide you stable network connectivity every time and to meet such requirements, RantCell is the best non-traditional tool to use. When it comes to testing the network through the application without visiting the site or performing network tests even by a non-technical person, RantCell is the solution. With RantCell pro app, not only you can perform the tests easily with proper automation but also get the reports through its web-based dashboard.